BETWEEN THE VINES TOUR
Ideal for foodies and wine lovers, this premium small-group tour of Nova Scotia’s pretty wine-centric destination is led by your local guide. You’ll ride in a comfortable vehicle to the Annapolis Valley to visit three award-winning wineries for touring and tasting.
Your morning begins with a drive to the Annapolis Valley with a colourful commentary on the story of Nova Scotia wine industry. Learn about what sets us apart from other wine regions and the types of grapes we grow.
The first visit will be to either Planters Ridge Winery or Gaspereau Vineyards. During your private tour that will take you through the wine-making processes, you will taste cool climate wines paired with local cheeses in their intimate barrel cellar.
Then you’ll visit the oldest established winery of the region, Domaine de Grand Pre, for a private tour of the vineyard to learn how the vines are maintained. The vineyard is situated overlooking the Minas Basin where the highest tides in the world occur. A private wine tasting follows that features the unique grape varieties of the region as well as a few surprises!
Cross the cobblestone courtyard to Restaurant Le Caveau, where lunch is served! This is one of the world’s top 20 winery restaurants! Feast on a two course gourmet lunch created by the chef (based on food allergies/dietary restrictions provided) that might feature line-caught Halibut, Arctic Char, Scallops, Coppa Steak, Moroccan Chicken and much more! Vegetarian and Vegan options are available.
After lunch, visit the nearby UNESCO View Park that looks over the old Acadian dykes and expansive patchwork of farmland reclaimed from the Minas Basin with majestic Cape Blomidon in the background. It’s a photographer’s dream!
In the afternoon, visit L’Acadie Vineyards or Mercator Vineyards. L’Acadie Vineyards is known for its organic practices which you’ll learn about on a tour of the vineyard. You’ll also learn how Traditional Method sparkling wines (like Champagne!) are made and taste award-winning sparkling wines. At Mercator Vineyards, relax in the century old farm house tasting room and enjoy a flight of wine paired beautifully with locally hand-made gourmet chocolate.
Finally, you’ll also visit whimsical Tangled Garden for a tour of the expansive gardens and still more sampling, this time delicious jams, jellies, vinaigrette and liqueurs that compliment any meal.
Expert Guide: A professional and fun wine guide will transport you through the stunning Annapolis Valley, home to Nova Scotia wine country.
- Private tour of the production area and sample wines paired with local cheeses in the private barrel cellar at Planters Ridge Winery (Mondays)
- Private vineyard tour and sample wines paired with local cheeses in the barrel cellar at Gaspereau Vineyards (Wednesdays)
- Private vineyard tour and sample local grape varieties at Domaine de Grand Pre
- A special “not-on-the-menu” two-course gourmet lunch at Restaurant Le Caveau (alcoholic beverages not included)
- Learn about organic grape-growing and taste sparkling wines while strolling the vineyard at L’Acadie Vineyards (Mondays)
- Relaxing sit-down tasting of wines paired with hand-made gourmet chocolate at Mercator Vineyards (Wednesdays)
- Walking tour of enchanting gardens at Tangled Garden and taste a variety of their “made on-site” herb jams, jellies and liqueurs.
- Take home your purchases in your complimentary wine tote bag
Transportation: Your tour picks up from any of the downtown Halifax hotels. Pickups in Dartmouth, Sackville and Bedford available on request.
Availability/ Tour Offered:
- Tour offered on Mondays and Wednesdays from May 11 – October 19, 2020
- Reservations required. Based on availability. Tours operate with a minimum of two people. This is our most popular tour and is limited to 8 people per tour so book well in advance to avoid disappointment!
- To book, click the Book Your Tour link below or call 1-877-365-2552. Credit card information required at time of booking.
Tours cancelled within 48 hours of tour departure are 100% non-refundable.
Price – $159/person plus HST
Tour duration – 930am – 530pm
Departures from Bedford, Dartmouth and Sackville are available on request.
Price – $139/person plus HST
Tour duration – 1030am – 430pm
Create a package and save by choosing to stay a night with one of our partners:
Package rates from $369/couple plus HST. Includes one night accommodation in room overlooking the Annapolis Valley and tour for two people. Breakfast not included.
Package rates from $419 – 457/couple plus HST. Includes one night accommodation, tour for two and breakfast.
The Clockmaker’s Inn, Windsor (two-night package)
Package rates from $476 – 536/couple plus HST. Includes two nights accommodation, tour for two and breakfast each morning.
Nova Scotia wine awakening – “Between the Vines” Trip Advisor, Reviewed 23 July 2014
My girlfriend and I went on this tour upon hearing some good recommendations, and certainly had our expectations surpassed. Not only was the wine excellent, but we learned all sorts of interesting things about the history of the area and the industry itself. When you add the diverse trio of wineries with a great lunch and mystical Tangled Gardens to finish it off, you really have a one of a kind tour. If you’re in the area you have to check it out.
– Mike S., Toronto